- Having a blog story is a great way to keep people coming back to your blog.
- Free stories can be great promo or they can backfire.
- Besides great cover art you also need the best edits you can get. Don't be afraid to ask for a different editor from a publisher and don't ever ignore your galleys. You're a professional. Let your books show like it.
- Write daily and have a schedule that you stick to.
- Give yourself deadlines and reward yourself when you meet them. Make them reasonable.
- Give NaNoWriMo a try. It starts next week.
- Same with Write or Die. There's a free web app version.
- Ask for guest spots and be responsible when other people are guests on yours.
- Find a mentor that you can go to for advice.
- Though charity anthologies don't pay anything try to do one a year. People like helping charities- they will buy the book. They will read your story and learn your name and hopefully go find more of your work.
- Give anthologies a try for the same reasons.
- Focus on quality but also write as much as you can.
- Series are fantastic.
- Push yourself, test yourself, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- Stick up for yourself but do not get into arguments with reviewers. Thank them for reading your book and move on.
- Many authors don't seek out their own reviews. Instead they wait for a publisher to bring them to their attention. There is a reason for this and it saves quite a bit of heartache and wasted time.
- Always keep writing. It doesn't have to be great. It doesn't even have to be good. Its a first draft and it will be changed. But it does have to get on the page.
- Know your moods and your needs. If a story isn't working, find out why. Go through your music, your pictures, go for a walk. Find that block and either find a way to work through it or go around it.
- Don't get overwhelmed by the little things. There's a lot to do as an author and its easy to grab up as much as you can right away but the thing that will keep readers coming back is your writing so work on that.
- Be open, comfortable and professional but always be human.
I'm tired but its the best kind, that type of tired that means I worked hard today and sleep will be welcome tonight. But that also means I might not be making sense. So I apologize for that and here is my advice to new authors.
Storm Moon Press
Less Than Three Press